The three contributing members of the Surreal Music Magazine team have compiled a list of their favorite albums that have been released in 2016.
Dominique’s Top 10 (in no particular order):
- Palaye Royale – Boom Boom Room (Side A): This album is marked as a favorite of mine because of its diversity from every other current rock and roll band out there. Remington, Sebastian, and Emerson created something unique, and it will stand up against time to last as a favorite of mine for years to come.
Favorite Track: Palaye Royale – Live Like We Want To
- Asking Alexandria – The Black: Even if Denis did not last as vocalist of the band, the album that was created is amazing. The lyrics are heavy, but tell a story. Asking Alexandria are back, and they aren’t going anywhere.
Favorite Track: Asking Alexandria – Gone
- David Bowie – Blackstar: As the final album of the legendary David Bowie, I feel like this album deserves to be on every list. Not only is it brilliant lyrically and musically, but people are still discovering fun things about the album almost a full year after its release.
Favorite Track: David Bowie – Lazarus
- Issues – Headspace: This album made it onto my list because Issues is a band that pushes boundaries. Tyler Carter’s R&B sound paired with Michael Bohn’s hardcore voice is a match made in heaven.
Favorite Track: Issues – Flojo
- Korn – Serenity of Suffering: After 3 years since their last album release, ‘Serenity of Suffering’ has proved to be one of their best records yet. The classic Korn sound with a new twist left me wanting to play the album over and over and over again.
Favorite Track: Korn – Rotting In Vain
- Beartooth – Aggressive: As someone who has been a fan of Beartooth since the ‘Sick’ EP was released, it is so much fun to hear how much Caleb Shomo’s lyrics and such change as time goes by.
Favorite Track: Beartooth – Burnout
- I Prevail – Lifelines: This is their debut album, and it sounds as if the band has been around for years. Plus, the band is KILLER live. 2016 has been an amazing year for I Prevail.
Favorite Track: I Prevail – Come and Get It
- Devour The Day – S.O.A.R: There are multiple reasons this album is on my top 10 list of the year. To start small, it was released on my birthday (April 1st), so that is always awesome! Another little fact that draws me to this band is their vocalist, Blake Allison, is from Arkansas. When you live in a small place, it is cool to see someone from it make a name for themselves. Every song on the album is awesome as well.
Favorite Track: Devour The Day – Fake It To Make It
- Panic! At The Disco – Death Of A Bachelor: An album full of hits. Brendon’s unique voice and writing style make for a fun record that is as catchy as it is classy.
Favorite Track: Panic! At The Disco – Death Of A Bachelor
- Rob Zombie -The Electric Warlock Acid Witch Satanic Orgy Celebration: It’s wild. It’s weird. It’s ROB ZOMBIE! No more explanation needed.
Favorite Track: Rob Zombie – The Life And Times Of A Teenage Rock God
Micala’s Top 10:
I picked the first 5 albums because they all hooked me immediately, and to this day, I can still listen to them on repeat without getting tired of them! The last 5 albums are just great albums, in my opinion.
- I See Stars – Treehouse: Favorite Track: I See Stars – Light In The Cave
- Dance Gavin Dance – Mothership: Favorite Track: Dance Gavin Dance – Chucky vs. The Giant Tortoise
- Blink 182 – California: Favorite Track: Blink 182 – San Diego
- badXchannels: Favorite Track: badXchannels – You Know I Will
- Issues – Headspace: Favorite Track: Issues – Blue Wall
- Panic! At The Disco – Death Of A Bachelor: Favorite Track: Panic! At The Disco – Emperor’s New Clothes
- Pierce The Veil – Misadventures: Favorite Track: Pierce The Veil – Floral & Fading
- Saosin – Along The Shadow: Favorite Track: Saosin – Old Friends
- I Prevail – Lifelines: Favorite Track: I Prevail – Scars
- Beartooth – Aggressive: Favorite Track: Beartooth – Hated
Brandi’s Top 5:
It is hard for me to pick just one favorite song off of an album. I just like them in general.
- Thrice – To Be Everywhere Is to Be Nowhere
- Saosin – Along The Shadow
- Blink 182 – California
- Of Mice & Men – Cold World
- A Day To Remember – Bad Vibrations
What are your favorite albums of 2016? Let us know in the comments!